Animals in Arkansas

Arkansas is a true heaven for wildlife, with great diversity in its terrain that offers all types of habitats. From the Ozark Mountains in the north to the Ouachita Mountains in the west and the Mississippi Delta in the east – the whole state is home to numerous large and small animals, including bears, foxes, bats, snakes, frogs, salamanders, and spiders.

At present, 56% of its total land is occupied by forests. And over 80% of these forests are national parks open to the public, with only the remaining 20% in private hands. Mount Nebo, Village Creek, Lake Ouachita, and Mount Magazine State Parks are just a few wildlife reserves where you can watch animals.

Animals in Arkansas (AR)

List of Different Types of Animals Found in Arkansas



  • Northern Mockingbird
  • Blue Jay
  • Northern Cardinal
  • Eastern Bluebird
  • Sharp-shinned Hawk
  • Red-tailed Hawk
  • Red-shouldered Hawk
  • Mallard
  • American Coot
  • American Wigeon
  •  Red-cockaded Woodpecker


  • American Alligator
  • Copperhead
  • Timber Rattlesnake
  • Western Diamondback Rattlesnake
  • Northern Pacific Rattlesnake
  • Western Pigmy Rattlesnake
  • Western Ribbon Snake
  • Diamondback Water Snake
  • Eastern Racer
  • Common Garter Snake
  • Western Skink
  • Five-lined Skink
  • Broad-headed Skink
  • Ground Skink
  • Southeastern Five-lined Skink
  • Western Fence Lizard
  • Side-blotched Lizard
  • Common Collared Lizard
  • Desert Spiny Lizard
  • Green Anole
  • Brown Anole
  • Western Painted Turtle
  • Northwestern Pond Turtle
  • Western Pond Turtle
  • Common Snapping Turtle
  • Red-eared Slider
  • Spiny Softshell Turtle
  • Desert Box Turtle
  • Ornate Box Turtle
  • Blanding’s Turtle


  • Ouachita Dusky Salamander
  • Western Redback Salamander
  • Marbled Salamander
  • Cave Salamander
  • Smallmouth Salamander
  • Spotted Dusky Salamander
  • Four-toed Salamander
  • Mole Salamander
  • Slimy Salamander
  • Eastern Tiger Salamander
  • Northern Dusky Salamander
  • Northern Slimy Salamander
  • Three-toed Amphiuma
  • Lesser Siren
  • American Bullfrog
  • Green Frog
  • Southern Leopard Frog
  • Pickerel Frog
  • Plains Leopard Frog
  • Northern Cricket Frog
  • Cajun Chorus Frog
  • Crawfish Frog
  • Spring Peeper
  • Cope’s Gray Treefrog
  • Gray Treefrog
  • Green Treefrog
  • American Toad
  • Fowler’s Toad
  • Gulf Coast Toad
  • Great Plains Toad
  • Couch’s Spadefoot Toad
  • Eastern Spadefoot
  • Plains Spadefoot
  • Sonoran Desert Toad
  • Western Narrow-mouthed Toad
  • Central Newt
  • Red River Mudpuppy
  • Ozark Hellbender


  • Alligator Gar
  • Yellow-cheek Darter
  • Paleback Darter
  • Ouachita Madtom
  • Caddo Madtom
  • Ozark Cavefish 
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Smallmouth Bass
  • Spotted Bass
  • White Bass
  • Striped Bass
  • Channel Catfish
  • Blue Catfish
  • Flathead Catfish
  • Crappie (Black and White)
  • Bluegill
  • Redear Sunfish
  • Longear Sunfish
  • Green Sunfish
  • White Crappie
  • Black Crappie
  • Northern Pike
  • Muskellunge
  • Rainbow Trout
  • Brown Trout
  • Brook Trout
  • Spotted Gar
  • Bowfin
  • Chain Pickerel

Insects And Invertebrates

  • Brown Recluse Spider
  • Black Widow
  • Granddaddy Long Legs
  • Diana Fritillary Butterfly
  • Monarch Butterfly
  • Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
  • Black Swallowtail
  • Green June Bug
  • Praying Mantis
  • Walking Stick
  • Mosquito
  • Firefly
  • Ladybug
  • Dragonfly
  • Grasshoppers
  • Honey Bees
  • Fire Ant
  • Beetles
  • Moths
  • Wasps
  • Crickets
  • Cicadas

State Animals of Arkansas

Arkansas State Animals
State MammalWhite-tailed Deer
State BirdNorthern Mockingbird
State Primitive FishAlligator Gar
State InsectHoney Bee
State ButterflyDiana Fritillary Butterfly


1. What are the most dangerous animals in Arkansas?

Large predatory animals like black bears, coyotes, bobcats, and American alligators are among the most dangerous animals in the state. The list includes all the rattlesnakes and venomous insects like brown recluse spiders and black widows.

2. Are there any endangered animals in Arkansas? 

Several animals found in this state have been classified as threatened or endangered, with the Ozark big-eared bat, Indiana bat, Ouachita madtom, Ozark hellbender, and Red-cockaded woodpecker, to name a few.

3. Are there any animals that are found only in Arkansas?

Arkansas is home to numerous fish species, with the yellow-cheek darter, pale-back darter, and Ouachita madtom found only in this state.

Subscribe our newsletter

Enter your email here to stay updated with the animal kingdom